- meaning ‘to move’, and motivation in an organisational context can be defined as the influences and processes that increase or decrease an individual’s desire and commitment to achieve personal and organisational goals
- meaning ‘to carry through in due form, and is defined here as the successful completion of a task, action or process at work.
- It can be defined as the dual-process of giving power away to followers, while simultaneously developing the skills and competencies they will need to take on new roles, responsibilities and self-leadership.
- introduce empowerment without equipping people with the knowledge and self-confidence they need to cope with enhanced levels of responsibility and power are doomed to failure.
- In common with leadership and communication this also means that motivating and empowering others is a two-way process of mutual influence and causation.